Chaudhary Bansi Lal Cricket Stadium Rohtak
The stadium is one of the main cricket stadiums in Haryana. All the main first class matches are held here. The capacity of the stadium is not much as compared to the big stadiums of the country. About 8000 spectators can be accommodated in the stadium.
One of the key features of the ground is that it has a lively pitch. The weather of the area is very much suitable for swing bowling. This is why it is a sought after venue for the bowlers. The fast bowlers are able to get a lot of purchase from the wicket. This is a rare sight in today’s cricket where most pitches are flat and suit the batsmen.
The key reason for the pitch being so lively is that Rohtak has a very high water level. The water is only a few feet below the ground. This is why the grass is able to grow so easily on the pitch. The outfield is absolutely lush green. The ground has the ideal conditions for cricket as the climate is cool throughout the year.
The Haryana state cricket team uses the stadium as its home ground and plays all its home matches here. A lot of important matches have been played at this venue over the years. The stadium had its share of limelight and media attention when Sachin Tendulkar played in his last Ranji Trophy match here in October, last year. The match was broadcast live all over the world. The stadium was packed to the brim to see the ‘Little Master’ in action.
Matches played at Chaudhari Bansilal Stadium
- The stadium hosted its first Ranji Trophy match in the 2006-07 season between Haryana and Andhra Pradesh. Since then there have been 27more Ranji Trophy matches played here.
- In the 2009-10 season, the very important Quarter Final match between Haryana and Mumbai was played here. Mumbai won the match by virtue of a first innings lead. Ajinkya Rahane, one of the premier batsmen in India today, was adjudged the Man of the Match for his brilliant century.
- The following year again, Haryana played the Quarter Finals against Tamil Nadu.
- In the 2011-12 season the very important Semi Final between Haryana and Rajasthan was held here.
- The home team, Haryana has displayed some good cricket at this venue over the years. They have really performed very well at the various domestic tournaments.
- Apart from the Ranji Trophy matches, a lot of other domestic tournaments have been played at the Chaudhary Bansi Lal Cricket Stadium as well. Haryana has played a lot of matches in the Vijay Hazare Trophy at this ground. This trophy is played in the 50 over one day format. In the 20 over version of the game, Haryana has clashed with other teams in the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy. All teams have enjoyed playing at this beautiful venue.
Records at the Bansilal Stadium in Rohtak
- The highest score at this venue by a team in first class cricket was 500-9d by Haryana against Jharkhand in the 2008-09 season. Sunny Singh and N. Saini scored two scintillating centuries for the home team.
- The lowest team total at this ground was also scored by the home team, Haryana against Vidarbha in the 2012-13 season. Umesh Yadav, picked up a 5 wicket haul to bowl out the home side for such a paltry score. He was adjudged the Man of the Match as well, as his efforts fuelled a victory for the visitors.
- A lot of centuries have been scored at Rohtak over the years even though the bowlers have found it suitable for their exploits. 27 centuries have been scored so far.
- The highest score by an individual was scored by Yusuf Pathan, for Baroda against Haryana, the home team. He scored an outstanding 195 in the 2010-11 season. He displayed an outstanding stroke play to get to his score. The fact that the ball comes on to the bat really well on this wicket aided his cause in a great way as well. He dispatched the Haryana bowlers to all parts of the ground.
- Sunny Singh, S. Rana and N. Saini have scored multiple centuries at this ground over the years. They represent the home side, Haryana. Their efforts have played a vital role in the success that the home team has received at this venue.
- Sourav Ganguly scored a brilliant 135 against Haryana on a green pitch at this venue in the 2011-12 season for Bengal. His efforts were very crucial for the Bengal side as it helped them to garner crucial points from the match.
- The bowlers have been successful at this ground as the conditions have really suited them over the years. V. Mallik of Himachal Pradesh has the best figures at this ground. He took 13-72 against the home side in the 2008-09 season. R.R. Singh of the Rajasthan team also has a very good figure of 12-82 at this ground against Haryana.
In general, Haryana is a very good place for the sportsters of all kinds of sports. The administration has been really supportive of them. The infrastructure for various sports in the state is very good. Like the Chaudhary Bansi Lal Cricket Stadium in Lahli which is located in the Rohtak district, there are a lot of other very good grounds in the state. The maintenance of the grounds are done really well. The state government has taken a lot of measures to promote sports in the state. The local people of Haryana are very much interested in their sports. Most of them take active part in one sport or the other.